Character Artist [Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora]
- Malmö, Sweden
- Flexible Working Organization: Hybrid
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora™ is a first person, action-adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment – a Ubisoft studio in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney. Built using the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine, and developed exclusively for the new generation of consoles and PC, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora brings to life the alluring world of Pandora with all of its beauty and danger in an immersive, open world experience.
As a Character Artist at Massive, your mission will be to develop characters from concept right through to fully realized 3D models using whatever toolsets produce your best results whilst also working within our in-house Snowdrop engine. You'll help to tell our story through highly detailed realistic-looking characters of Pandora, from the Na'vi's and human colonies to the wide range of creatures inhabiting the living world. As part of the Avatar Project, you'll play an instrumental role in bringing to life the beautiful and dangerous world of Pandora.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden, with the opportunity to work partially from home according to our Flexible Workplace Policy. Please apply in English (our company language), and we'll check your application asap!
What you'll do
- Working closely with the character lead and concept team to conceptualize and create high-quality characters and accessories based on original art and/or photographic reference
- Collaborating with our shader tech team to create and apply textures and materials with aesthetic appreciation on real world references and in-game lighting while staying true to the game's narrative narrative
- Participating in the set up and maintenance of character production pipelines
- Working within the engine to preview, iterate, optimize and polish models to a quality bar and visual direction as set by the Art Director
- Collaborating with the animation tech team to help define modeling standards for rigging, deformation, and simulation within performance budgets, and other run-time requirements
What you'll bring
You share our passion for film, games, and storytelling. You urge to create content that attracts the eye and sets the standard in the gaming industry. You want to develop new skills and apply your learnings to projects in the making. You are team-oriented and have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, towards deadlines. You have a positive attitude with the ability to give and receive constructive feedback. Besides the above we're looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- A portfolio showcasing your Character Art creations (ideally with photo-realistic examples)
- Professional experience working with character art
- Proficient with industry-standard tools (e.g. Maya, 3Ds MAX, ZBrush, Blender, Substance)
- Ability to realize characters from concepts and Art Director briefs
- Experience in game development workflow is a plus
You can also find a summary of the Massive Job Perks here.
If you have questions, welcome to reach out to TA Specialist: Moa Sellin Ödling at LinkedIn or [email protected]
Massive Entertainment is a world-leading AAA studio located in Malmö, Sweden and part of the Ubisoft family. We're a multinational team of more than 750 passionate and highly skilled people from 50+ different countries. Our studio's goal has always been – and still is – to craft the finest gaming experiences for all players.
At Massive, you get to do what you love most while bringing your own experience to our ongoing projects, like Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and The Star Wars Project. We're also developing new tech here, such as our in-house engine Snowdrop, and Ubisoft Connect - Ubisoft's digital ecosystem and distribution platform.
All your application information will be kept confidential according to EEO & GDPR guidelines.